I don’t know about you , but I love love love summer time! But I know that it is harder for me to eat healthy with all the activities that go on. Here are a few tips I use to help me keep on track. I hope you will find them helpful as well.
I try to eat healthy most of the time but I do indulge myself because , hey, it’s summer!
1. Have a plan! It is easy to say “I am going to eat healthy at the BBQ today.” What does that mean? This broad statement can set you up for failure. Try to spell out specific goals you can follow through with during the event. Write your plan down and stick to it. You have to remember to do it!! It’s easy to forget once you get there.
2. Bring a dish that you know is healthy. It’s okay to be known as the person who always brings a veggie tray with hummus or cut up fruit for everyone. Trust me, I am this person. Guess what?? My friends count on it because they are trying to eat healthier too.
3. Make sure you sit away from the food table. You will be less tempted to keep mindless snacking. This type of snacking makes your calorie intake go up and up. Stay away from the food and mingle or visit with friends who are away from the table as well.
4. Plan to eat on a plate and make only one trip to the food table. Avoid taking bites of food without having it on a plate first. It is easy to overeat when you aren’t keeping track of the portion sizes of what you are eating. Make half your plate fruits and vegetables. 1/4 of the plate grains and 1/4 meat. Use ChooseMyPlate.gov to help.
5. Add extra activity. Try to workout extra a few days before and after your summer celebration to help balance the extra calories you will be taking in. It is really easy to overeat your usual activity so adding in extra is great.
6. Limit empty calorie beverages. Try to drink only one regular soda, sugar sweetened tea or alcoholic beverage. Stick with water or unsweetened tea after you have had a high calorie drink.
Enjoy your summer!!